Wednesday, June 24, 2009

It's All About the Food

This is what we were told before we moved in with our host families. In Ghanaian culture it is a sign of a bad host if a guest has to ask for seconds, so on the first few days of homestay I was fed a ridiculous amount. Like 2 egg sandwiches and half a loaf of bread for breakfast kind of ridiculous. Since never having eaten half of what my mom gives me, she has taken the hint and now serves me a normal amount, by American standards, which is still a lot of food. My stratetgy has been to not eat lunch since I'm usually in training, so that when dinner rolls around I'm pretty hungry and I can eat more.

I hate to say it, but I don't really like Ghanaian food. I mean it's not inedible, but I'm not a fan. The entire idea behind Ghanaian food is starch and grease. I rather like white rice, spaghetti noodles, and boiled yams, but they are usually covered with a sauce that is not unlike marinara sauce, but they mix a fair amount of palm oil in it. My body is still getting used to the idea of palm oil. It's like I'm back on the lemon cleanse. With the starch and sauce I am usually given chicken, fish, or goat. Though it's usually fish, with the bones still in it. I am trying to get used to the feeling of the the vertebra popping in my mouth. But, as my mom pointed out, at least I'll be getting some calcium, since dairy products are pretty much non existent here. Except for Laughing Cow cheese.

The pride and joy of Ghanaian cuisine is fufu. Fufu is cassava pounded (think HUGE petistal and motor) with plantains until it is gooey, but solid and dough-like. They serve it in a broth made of peanuts (groundnuts) and palm oil. You are supposed to eat it with you hands, which is incredibly messy, and you are not supposed to chew it. Just swallow it. There inlies the paradox of fufu for me because I don't like the way it tastes, but I am also horrible at swallowing things without chewing. I still struggle with pills from time to time.

The host families have the volunteers eat by themselves, which a lot of people don't like. But because I am a misanthrope and a picky eater I am so relieved that I don't have to choke down my food with an audience. I actually rarely see my host family eat, but they all look healthy, so I'm sure they eat enough. I can't wait until I am at my site and can cook my own food. I am really looking forward to familiar flavors.

1 Comment:

Grandma Dee said...

You are correct! It is all about the food! Remember...it is not as important to know what something is...as it is to know what it was! Love Dad and Grandma Dee